This dish is the essence of comfort food in my world – rich, creamy, and delicious. But this version has the benefit of being cholesterol free, and considerably less fattening than the dairy-laden version! Not fat free, of course, but better for you than the original.
Alfredo sauce used to be one of my favorites, but after going vegan I didn’t have it for a long time since the original recipe is loaded with butter, cream, and cheese. Well, if you too have missed Alfredo sauce, I’ve come to save the day! This recipe is SO easy, and you will love it!
1 cup raw cashews
2 T raw pine nuts
1 ½ cups water
4 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
3 cloves minced garlic
1/16 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup Daiya Mozzarella
½ tsp fresh ground pepper plus more to taste
12 oz fettuccine pasta
1 package Gardein chick’n scallopini
2 cups broccoli florets
3 oz sundried tomatoes, julienned
Fresh parsley for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Place cooked, drained pasta in a large pot.
- Cook 4 Gardein chick’n scallopini breasts according to package instructions. When done cooking, cut into 1/2″ cubes.
- Meanwhile, place broccoli florets in a steamer basket and steam until tender.
- In a blender, grind cashews & pine nuts into a fine powder. Add water, lemon juice, garlic, nutmeg, and salt. Blend until completely smooth.
- Transfer to a small saucepan and add Daiya cheese. Cook over medium heat and whisk as you bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 7 minutes, whisking regularly. Stir in black pepper.
- Remove sauce from heat, and place pasta back over heat. Add the sauce to the pasta and stir to incorporate.
- Add broccoli, Gardein, and sundried tomatoes and stir lightly incorporate. Make sure mixture is entirely heated through before serving.
- Lastly, top with parsley for garnish!
Makes 6 servings.